19, No. 3
Feb. 9 - 22, 2006
Carrión Predicts Action on Armory
By JORDAN MOSS
Pronouncing himself “sick and tired of talking about the
Kingsbridge Armory,” Bronx Borough President Adolfo Carrión, Jr. said he
expected “action” in the long-delayed renovation of the Kingsbridge Armory
within the next 24 months.
“We need some action, and I think, I am confident, that working with the
Bronx leadership, we’re going to be able to, in the next 24 months, see the
kind of action we haven’t seen in [a] dozen years at the Kingsbridge Armory
to create educational space and retail space and jobs, and construction
jobs, and opportunity for the Bronx,” Carrión said in his State of the
Borough address at Lehman High School last week.
Carrión did not provide the reasoning behind his new-found optimism
regarding the project, which has been hopelessly mired in political
squabbles and general bureaucratic inertia since the state handed the vacant
landmark over to the city in 1993. Any attempt to redevelop the armory
hinges partly on finding a new home for the National Guard, which occupies
two buildings behind the armory’s massive drill hall.
But the Bloomberg administration’s indecision on the matter also may be
playing a role keeping the facility in mothballs.
The Norwood News reported in the previous issue that administration
officials are debating the possibility of moving the police academy to the
armory. That prospect is unpopular with the Northwest Bronx Community and
Clergy Coalition which, in conjunction with a large real estate developer,
has drafted detailed plans that include the same components Carrión
delineated in his speech.
Back to News
News | Opinion | Schools
| Features | Continuing Stories | Home
About Us | Past Issues