East 163rd Street
Bronx, New York 10459
TEL: (718) 328-9125
FAX: (718) 991-4974
FULL BOARD MINUTES
Date: April 30, 2014
Time: 6:00 pm
Place: Urban Health Plan Simpson Pavilion
Dr. Ian Amritt
Julia Cruz, LMSW
Twana Gilliard Green
Rev. Moses Oladosu
Peter Jose Serrano
Pastor Reggie Stutzman
John Udo Okon
Joyce Campbell – Culler
Dr. Richard Izquierdo
David Sosa, Esq
Rafael Salamanca, Jr., District Manager Cynthia Baez, Community Associate
Oneida DeJesus, Community Assistant
The regular monthly meeting of Bronx Community Board #2 was held on Wednesday,
April 30, 2014 at Urban Health Plan – Simpson Street Pavilion – 1054 Simpson
Street, Bronx, New York 10459, in accordance with the time and place set forth
in a public notice.
I. PUBLIC SESSION
● Mr. Alex Sonera, Senior Administrator welcomed the community to Urban Health
Plan – Simpson Street Pavilion. Mr. Sonera spoke briefly on the expansion of
● Ms. Deshawn Williams, Bronx NAN Chapter, spoke on the Unveiling of the Slave
Memorial Ground at Drake Park on Saturday, May 17, 2014. Fliers were
● Mr. Jorge Sierra, Bronx LGBTQ Community Center, spoke on services provided by
his agency. Bronx’s LGBTQ new address, 260 East 188th Street and phone number
(347) 512 8291.
● Ms. Cynthia Suazo, Community Resident, stated there will be a prayer vigil
honoring her sister, Eva Suazo, who was murder on April 30th 1996. The murder
remains unsolved and a prayer vigil will honor unsolved murders and families
affected by it. The vigil will take place Saturday May 3rd. The location is 1711
Lacombe Avenue from 2pm-4pm.
● Detective Delvalle-Sanchez, Bronx Detective Division, announced a celebration
for the 100th Anniversary for the Fort Apache building located on Simpson
Street. The event will be held on June 5th and the block will be closed with
lots of activities for the community.
● Deputy Inspector Rivera provided the 28 Day Compstat report: all major crime
went down with the exception of Grand larceny. Two rapes occurred, and both were
statutory in nature. No follow-up can be given since both are on-going
● Deputy Inspector Rivera spoke on recent activity:
○ Robbery of a local Jewelry store on Southern Boulevard. No arrests have been
○ shooting at 1315 Lafayette Avenue. This is the second shooting this year at
the location and additional deployment will occur at this location.
○ Arrests of gangs located in the community. A great deal of work transpired to
arrest 23 individuals, which dates back from the killing of Lloyd Morgan in
● Ms. Melissa Lomba wanted an update regarding the theft of musical instruments
at PS 48. Deputy Inspector Rivera stated there was no real progress as of yet.
There was still some investigating work the Burglary unit is conducting.
● Mr. Israel Rodriguez requested an update regarding the Riker’s Island crime
numbers being added to the 41st Precinct. Deputy Inspector Rivera stated local
elected officials have met with superiors in the NYPD regarding this and will
provide an update once one is given.
● Mr. Cedric McClester asked for an update regarding an attempted carjacking
that was recorded and posted on the New York Daily News website. The attempted
carjacking involved an individual riding on the side of a SUV taxi starting
along the Bruckner Boulevard through the entire community board. Deputy
Inspector Rivera could not comment on the arrest since it was made in another
● Ms. Paula Fields wanted an update on the local Hookah lounge located on
Southern Boulevard. Deputy Inspector informed the Board the Hookah lounge was
formally evicted from the premises due to rent payment.
II. BUSINESS SESSION
A. ROLL CALL- Quorum was established.
B. ADOPTION OF MINUTES – A motion to approve the minutes was made by Ms. Twana
Green and seconded by Ms. Mildred Colon. All were in favor, motion was carried.
C. CHAIRMEN REPORT – Dr. Ian Amritt, Chair (see attached)
Dr. Amritt announced the appointments for the Nominating Committee:
● Altagracia Cruz – Accepted
● Jesse Harris – Declined
● Rev. John Udo-Okon – Accepted
● Pastor Reggie Stutzman – Accepted
● Roland Lopez – Accepted
● Melissa Lomba - Accepted
D. DISTRICT MANAGER REPORT – Mr. Rafael Salamanca, Jr., District Manager (see
E. BOROUGH PRESIDENT REPORT – Ms. Aurea Mangual (see attached)
III. COMMITTEE REPORTS
a. Economic Development / Municipal Services Committee (see attachment)
Ms. Maria Torres, Chairperson
A motion to write a letter to NYC Department of Transportation approving the
Northbound and Southbound MTA bus stop sidewalk extensions at the intersection
of Westchester Avenue and Simpson Street.
A motioned was made by Committee and seconded by Mr. Larry Robinson. All were in
favor, motion passed.
A motion to write a letter to NYC Department of Transportation requesting a
sidewalk medium at the intersection of 165th Street and Fox Street.
A motioned was made by Committee and seconded by Ms. Altagracia Cruz. All were
in favor, motion passed.
b. Housing & Land Use Committee
Ms. Joyce Campbell-Culler, Chairperson
A motion to write a letter to Mr. Pat Ricci, Property Owner of 1098 Lafayette
Avenue / 825 Garrison Avenue (former Platinum Pleasures) supporting Real of Life
Church request to purchase the building/property.
A motioned was made by committee and seconded by Mr. Ralph Acevedo. All were in
favor, expect for – 3 No Votes (Altagracia Cruz, Mildred Colon and Melissa Lomba)
and 2 Abstentions (Roland Lopez and Pastor Reggie Stutzman). Motion passed.
c. Education Committee
Mr. Richard Sherman, Chairperson
Mr. Larry Robinson, Chairperson
d. Environmental Committee
Mr. Ralph Acevedo, Chairperson
e. Housing & Land Use Committee
Ms. Joyce Campbell-Culler, Chairperson
f. Health & Human Services / Environmental Committee
Mr. Luis Marrero, Chairperson
g. Franchise, Licensing and Permits Committee (see attachment)
Mr. Robert Crespo, Chairperson
IV. OLD BUSINESS
● No old business.
V. NEW BUSINESS
● No new business
● Ms. Mildred Colon announced that BxCB2’s annual AIDS walk will be held on
Saturday, September 13, 2014 with more information to follow.
● Ms. Paula Fields announced that the 41st Pct. Community Council Fellowship
Breakfast will be on Tuesday, May 20, 2014 at 10:30AM. Location: Casita Maria –
928 Simpson Street.
● Ms. Melissa Lomba announced Start-up South Bronx will have a grand opening on
May 14th with games and prizes given out.
● Ms. Marta Rivera announced the S.P.E.D. at Casita Maria on May 2nd 2014.
● Mr. Larry Robinson announced the next Bronx C-Ball event will occur May 3rd
2014 at Lehman High School.
A motion to adjourn the meeting was made by Ms. Julia Cruz and seconded by Ms.
Deshawn Williams. All were in favor, meeting was adjourned at 8:25PM.
Respectfully submitted by Mr. Ralph Acevedo, Secretary of Bronx Community Board